Wednesday 23 January 2013

Dragonart Ultimate Gallery book review

Dragonart ultimate gallery review
 
As opposed to her other books that are based around art instruction this one is a showcase of artwork by J “Neondragon” Peffer.
It is well presented and produces with a hard cover and printed on good quality paper. Unfortunately  this is where the good points end. I personally do not feel that Peffer’s work deserves such a showcase for it. The main reason for this is the colouring technique as it appears that everthing has been coloured digitally. I am quite a fan of digitally produced art and do despair when it is used to create the flat, layered effect that Peffer seems to employ on every piece featured. To me, this technique gives digital art a bad name. Also there is no usefulness with this book as far as I am concerned, I would not refer back to it for anything whereas her Dragonart collector’s edition was full of great tips and tutorials.
On a plus side a lot of the images are accompanied by comments from the artist stating techniques, processes and inspiration involved in the piece.
My dislike for this book is mainly due to personal taste so fans of the artist or this flat digital aesthetic may find entertainment and inspiration here. For me the Dragonart collectors edition is far superior as I find her techniques and processes are much better than her actual finished pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment